Monday, August 10, 2009

Dia:Beacon.

This museum, Dia:Beacon, is located in Beacon, New York.
It is about an hour and a half train ride from Manhattan.
I walked in not knowing what to expect, but to my surprise, it was like no other art gallery I had ever seen. The check-in was part of a bookstore/cafe located in a small building next to the museum. And the main building seemed small from the outside, but when I walked in, it was nothing but wide open spaces and natural light streaming in through the part-glass ceiling.
There were many rooms featuring artists such as Warhol, Sol Lewitt, Dan Flavin, etc.
I visited each of the three floors but was stuck on a particular room, or few rooms, with the drawings of Sol Lewitt directly from pencil to wall. (no canvas or anything). It simply amazed me how a collection of simple lines can be so interesting and beautiful.
As far as the architecture of the building goes, I admired the simplicity of it; wooden and steel stairs, many glass windows, and not one elevator. Not to mention the flourishing greenery surrounding the entire area.
It reminded me of the home I would want for myself in the future; it was comfortable and natural. Perfection.
I can honestly say, this is the most magical place I have ever visited.
Here's to Dia.

























No comments:

Post a Comment